It’s no secret that aging can bring a whole lot of change to your life. Below is a great recipe to help make sure young and old get the vitamins and nutrients they need.
According to the National Council on Aging, a plate should look like a rainbow. This means bright colored foods are always a good choice. Also, a healthy meal includes:
- Lean protein (lean meats, seafood, eggs, beans)
- Fruits and vegetables (think orange, red, green, and purple)
- Whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta)
- Low-fat dairy (milk and its alternatives)
Seniors should also choose foods that are high in fiber and low in sodium.
Double Berry Overnight Oats:
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 TBS. Sliced almonds
- Light artificially sweetened yogurt, 1/3 cup
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- One pinch table salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 cup Mixed Berries of your choice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs sliced almonds
1. Combine all ingredients, except almonds, in a medium jar or large glass.
2. Stir, cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Garnish with almonds and serve.