It’s called the five-dollar food challenge, put on by the New Mexico Dept. of Agriculture. The special dish is called Sandia Salad which is great with BBQ’s.
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Lime Juice
- Red Chile Infused Olive Oil
- Watermelon Salad with Red Chile Honey Vinaigrette.
- Honey Vinaigrette,
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp red chile-infused olive oil (If you cannot find this oil, use extra virgin olive oil, and add 1 to 2 tsp red chile powder)
- pinch of salt
- Watermelon Salad,
- ½ watermelon, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, more to your liking
- ½ cup salted pistachios
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, olive oil and pinch of salt. Set aside for a moment.
- In a large bowl or serving platter with sides, combine the watermelon, onion, feta, and pistachios.
- Top the watermelon salad with the honey vinaigrette and gently toss to combine. Go to the New Mexico Dept. of Agriculture for more information.