Nearly 200 members of the Bernalillo County 4-H will exhibit more than 1,000 projects at the 2019 4-H Fair. The next generation of agriculturists have been working incredibly hard on a wide variety of projects and those projects are ready for an audience.
The Bernalillo County 4-H Fair is July 29 to August 3 at the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Posse Grounds.
Kenzie Hayes is a member of Bernalillo County’s 4-H and is the new state champion in the Favorite Foods Contest where youth make a full food item and present the nutritional content in that item. Kenzie stopped by the New Mexico Living Local show and made her award-winning eggs benedict. She will also be at the fair selling animals.
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins, split
- 8 breakfast sausage patties
- Queso sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or pico de gallo
- Slice of avocado for garnish
1.Poach the eggs: Fill a medium pot with 3 inches of water. Add vinegar, season with salt and bring to a simmer. (it should never boil.) Using the handle of a spoon or spatula, stir the water with a clockwise motion. Crack an egg into a small bowl, gently slide egg into the center of the pot, letting the water swirl around it and allowing the white to envelop the yolk. Repeat — you could probably do up to three at a time. Check the eggs after 4 minutes: Use a slotted spoon to lift an egg out of the water, and feel the white for firmness. If it’s not quite done, slide it back in for another minute or so. Let cook until the whites are just set, but the yolks are still completely runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Once eggs are perfectly poached, remove from the water, and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Set eggs aside.
2. Using a toaster, toaster oven or regular oven, toast the English muffins until crisp and golden brown.Don’t be afraid to toast them thoroughly: They’ll be covered in hollandaise and poached eggs, and will need to be sturdy.
3. Cook breakfast sausage in a medium skillet over medium–high heat until cooked all the way through and just barely crisp on outside, about 20 mins.
4. Assemble the Benedict: Place eight halves of English muffin on a plate. Top each with a sausage patty, then a poached egg. Spoon queso sauce over and sprinkle with pico or cilantro.
The fair is the final culmination of a 4-H members year where they have an opportunity to showcase all of the projects they participated in over the year. Kenzie will be exhibiting a wide range of projects from swine to sewing, and rabbits to rocketry.
People interested in getting their kids involved can visit Bernalilloextension.nmsu.edu
Categories: Living Show