It is officially the start of November, which means Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Do you know how you’re preparing your turkey this year? Family and Consumer Sciences Agent, Dianne Christensen, with the Bernalillo County Cooperative Extension Service talks turkey-tips and how you can prepare the best turkey this Thanksgiving.
- Defrost your turkey 1-2 days ahead
- If defrosting in the refrigerator:
- allow 24 hours for every 4 lbs
- 16 lb turkey takes 4 days
- If not using the refrigerator:
- COLD tap water, changing every 30 minutes, allowing 30 minutes per pound.
- For 16lb turkey, 8 hours.
- Wash sink, counters well with hot, soapy water
- Breast up in roast, no lower than 325 degrees.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and baste every 30 minutes.
- Time tables are on package until 165 degrees.
- Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
- Can keep leftovers 3-4 days or freeze.
The Bernalillo County Cooperative Extension Service brings research-based information from New Mexico State University to residents in the areas of food and nutrition, health, wellness, agriculture, horticulture, and animal sciences.